It is not the severity of the abuse I am commenting on.  It is the necessity of
the abuse before we, the viewers, can accept Salt as a kick-ass avenger.  This
is not de rigueur in male action films where the impetus is usually a woman
(wife, daughter, girlfriend) who has been killed, kidnapped and/or raped. In
female action films, it is the heroine herself who must be (nearly) killed,
kidnapped and/or raped.

~(no)rave!