From: "Keith Johnson" <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 10:19:34 PM
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Gary Kurtz Speaks Bluntly About George Lucas

The below from the interview really resonates with me. One problem i always had
with "Return of the Jedi" was the ending. I kept thinking that just because the
second Death Star was destroyed, and Vader and the Emperor dead, that only
meant the work was beginning. After all, there was a huge interstellar
apparatus in place that had aided and been complicit with the Empire's
depredations. This system included the rule of whole solar systems, a corrupt
Senate, leaders on hundreds of worlds loyal to the Empire that gave them money
and power, a military dedicated to the Empire, and a dearth of Jedi to enforce
the principles of the Old Republic. In short, the work was indeed just
beginning, and tackling the task of a galaxy-wide makeover of a totalitarian
state into a democratic one again would be a monumental task. Look at how the
former Soviet Union is already struggling mightily with autocratic elements
fighting with its democratic aspirations. They have a Prime Minister who was an
autocratic president who's basically their strong man.
So the "Ewok lua" as he put it, was indeed premature. I think that if you read
some of the books, and study the Expanded Universe online, you see more mature,
thoughtful, and in-depth treatments that handle that world a lot better than
the kid- and crowd-pleasing movies.