The wife and I loved The Matrix trilogy as well, warts and all. I think people
complained more about the direction and story in the sequels than the quality
of what we got.

I loved Inception for some of the same reasons Bosco disliked it. The SF
elements are a part of the story but once those elements are pared away you get
to the meat of a more personal story about grief. The thing that stuck with me
at the end is I didn't really care if what I saw was actually a SF movie or
someone's cathartic dream therapy it hooked me. Hearing an audience gasp and
then applaud at the last image of a film wasn't something I had experienced in
a long time.