Most of the books I read are books sent to me for review so I don't
really buy any books.

Finished reading Robert Fleming's Havoc after dark and will be moving
on to Fever in the Blood when it arrives at my door. I like him. Mixes
the horror-suspense very well with the entire diaspora racial concerns.
And the stories are good, remembering the past but not really mired in
them.

Wysard by Carolyn Kephart-- a very high language book, medievally. Not
pulled into it yet, perhaps because there's the cliched hidden
childhood thing. I know it's part of the mythos of these books but dang
it gets old. Same thing for The Dreamer by Matthew McMillan. And it
doesn't help that they're YA.

Reading the stories in the Jigsaw Nation antho which I happen to be in.
A fellow writer in the antho wrote to say my story was his second
favorite in the book (after his) so I had to rush off and read his
story. So now I feel I better just read a story a day from the antho.
It's tough because it's a story about an America divided into red and
blue states. In my story I made both the Christian conservative reds
just as oppressive as the liberal God-hating blues. As a Black
Christian I felt it was the only honest thing to do. And the writer
commented on it. It seems that my story is the only story in the book
where there's any balance. For the most part the writers were pretty
pro-blue. So am slogging through all kinds of political stories that
depict Christians and conservaties as woman-hating, gay-hating, war-
mongering, abortion-stopping madmen. ::rolls eyes:: Hey, I'm a voice of
balance in the book so that's good.

Books I plan to read because I'm reviewing them are: An antho of
stories written in honor of Jules Verne. I think I was just surprised
that they weren't Jules Verne stories and have to regroup in order to
really appreciate them.

Ninety Days by Sam Yarney - a suspense thriller with all kinds of
conspiracy.

Plenty Good Room by Cheri Paris Edwards. Romance in which single Black
woman in project takes in a street kid because she thinks its the good
thing to do...and the trouble it makes in her life.

Upshot of all this? I'm beginning to realize that I hate political
books. And yet all my works tend to be political. I'd like to think,
though, that my stories tend to be wayyy more human than polemical. And
they're just not so grounded in the here and now. But that's me.

-C

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly

http://us.click.yahoo.com/co.u8A/gOaOAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM