> No matter how long and productive one's life is, one doesn't want to
> die. Life is always too short for those who have had productive lives.
> Now if he were a depressive and was in some ways always longing for
> death...now that's a different story. But you can't say that someone
> should be pragmatic about the length of his life when he's been given a
> death sentence.

I'm not sure I agree with that, Carole.  Not to debate theology with you --
you'd win hands-down =) -- but I see no reason why a person can't come to an
acceptance of death, or even a positive outlook on it, particularly if they
believe there's something to look forward to afterward.  Isn't that the one
commonality of every faith -- that it provides some comfort for the fear of
death?  I feel no fear of death at this point in my life, and I'm only in my
thirties.  I'm not suicidal; I want to enjoy my life while it lasts, and
accomplish quite a bit more along the way.  I *am* afraid of dying badly --
something very painful or humiliating (yes, I expect to retain some vanity
even unto death =P) for example.  But once the messy part is over with, I
have to admit I'm really curious to find out what comes after.  I can't help
it.  I'll never get into space or live half of the adventures that I write
about in my novels, but death is the one great mystery we'll all get to
experience.  If Asimov felt anything similar, then I see no reason why he
would have been angry about his death even if it was hastened by a mistake.

(Now, if I get hit by a bus on my way home ya'll, somebody send this email
to my mama.  =P)

Nora

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM