I didn't intend to start such a firestorm. (smile)
    Isaac Asimov was both Jewish and an atheist, so I don't think
that he was looking forward to heaven after dying.
    The business about accepting death was somewhat of a personal
statement. (And I am 50, so you can't pin the young person accepting
death for an older person on me.)
    I still think that Americans are too quick to sue when
honest "mistakes" are made.  No one is perfect.  And in this case,
the villantry is too wide-spread.

His doctor would have been wrong NOT to order a transfusion to save a
dying man.

There was no test for AIDS at that time.  I blame the blood centers
for not making that fact known, but knowing that fact would not have
saved him.

Whoever donated was wrong to donate, but s/he might not have known of
the illness.

This isn't a case where an instrument was left in the patient's gut
by a drunk doctor.

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Carole McDonnell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wasn't talking about acceptance of death actually.
>
> My point was specifically about whether Person A could say that
> Persom B would or should be pragmatic about the end of Person B's
> life.
>
> It's the "someone else" factor.
>
> As for wanting to die, I'm sure many people have accepted death.
And
> some have raged against the dying of the light. But I suspect that
> when someone has written many stories and probably wants to write
> many more, they would be a bit stressed to suddenly be told that
they
> really have lived a long life. Again it's the "someone else"
judging
> the worth of another person's life. And judging it by the year
factor.

> This is not about whether accepting the afterlife in a positive
> manner. I personally would like nothing better than to die and go
> heaven and be with Christ, but isn't that the point? That we cannot
> use ageism to say "well this person has lived a long life." So I've
> accepted the joys of after-death. It wasn't death I had the problem
> with but with people thinking that once a person -- productive or
not-
> - has reached a certain age, then life doesn't matter to them
> anymore.  The young hate life sometimes -- as I often do. And the
old
> love it. Or they fear death and resent it when it comes.   Age and
> should not be the decisive factor about whether one should sue in a
> wrongful death case. Nor for that matter should that other vague
> bugaboo "quality of life" be judged by someone else.
>
> We don't want a fascist world ruled by young people who think that
> old people should be rational and positively go gently into that
good
> night just because the old person is ...old. -C
>

>  --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Nora <njem@> wrote:
> >
> > > No matter how long and productive one's life is, one doesn't
want
> > > die. Life is always too short for those who have had productive
> lives.
> > > Now if he were a depressive and was in some ways always longing
> for
> > > death...now that's a different story. But you can't say that
> someone
> > > should be pragmatic about the length of his life when he's been
> given a
> > > death sentence.
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree with that, Carole.  Not to debate theology
> with you --
> > you'd win hands-down =) -- but I see no reason why a person can't
> come to an
> > acceptance of death, or even a positive outlook on it,
particularly

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM