Subject: Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] How to Get More Blacks to Read Speculative
Fiction
From: "Carole McDonnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, August 06, 2006 12:52 pm
To: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com

Just peeking into this discussion for a second. Two genres I really
like are Spec-fic and romance. Generally, I don't care what races are
involved. But there are moments when a great leap of joy just
overcomes my fluttering heart...and that's when a story connects to
me in a racial or religious or sexual orientation kinda way. (Yes,
most of my favorite films have interracial couples. Specifically if a
movie or book has a black leading character or couple or if the main
character is a black woman with white, asian, or native american men,
or if there is a Christian subtext, well, I can't help it I'm kinda
intrigued.)

The inverse (or is that the converse?) can be stated. When I read a
book or see a movie which ignores black folks or minorities or uses
the same old unwritten but nevertheless powerful racist rules of the
past, well I do kinda find a angry heat rising to my chest. So race
does matter to me -- and I dare say to most minorities in SF. Not
because we want all spec-fic to be about race, but because there is a
lovely feeling of being home, about being among a landsman as Jewish
folks would say, or of being with characters who are one's peeps and
walking around one's hood. It just makes me feel as if some other
writer is speaking of home.

-C
Carole McDonnell
Wind Follower June 2007 Juno Books
www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/Publications.html
carole.mcdonnell (at) gmail (dot)com

Community email addresses:
Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe Digest Mode: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SciFiNoir_Lit/
Yahoo! Groups Links