--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I was only answering a question and I am being honest when I say I
don't
> attach a color to Science Fiction as I only see good stories and
bad  stories.

<<That is good.  That is exemplary.  In a perfect world that is what
we should have.

We do not live in a perfect world. I know you mean well.  I could be
wrong but you are probably one of these people that sees Speculative
Fiction as a method for building one world, erasing racial
differences, bringing about a color blind society, etc. etc.

I wish you luck if you do.

I have been watching people try to do this for fifty years and they
have failed utterly.  I do not expect to see it in my lifetime and
maybe, after a while there shouldn't be.

There are groups out here, like Sisters Nineties and Yari Yari, who
are already engaged in seeking a sense of self by studying their own
culture.  The culture produced by Africans and African Americans.
They are doing it because they do not get it in the schools.

They have been dismissive of SF because it has excluded them.  As
John Clute stated in his encyclopedia of Science Fiction, "It was not
a literature intended for the Dispossessed"

They want to read SF by people like them. Write it themselves.

This is their right.  There are all these groups that write their own
SF--femnist, gay, etc.  Do you feel the same way about the?

Very few people see it the way you do, by the way.  Read the
struggles of Black SF writers--even the successful one, if you think
they do.  Look at what has happened to Steve Barne's alternative
history books--the lack of push in the SF pres, etc>>

> I don't thing black sci fi writers should either.

<<That is fine.  Others don't think so.  There is room for both sides-
-there had better be>>

The origin of this post
> was about marketing to black science fiction fans.

<<Wrong.  It was marketing science fiction to black folks.  Big
difference.  From my experience you do not have to write black to
market to black science fiction fans>>

I am saying it's very hard
> because many black sci fi fans wont even admit they like sci fi
publicly and
> the  majority just don't like it not because they don't understand
it but many
> don't  have time for made up stuff that they can't relate to with
all the
> difficulty of  just being black in their lives.

<<See above>>

> The first thing a writer must do is know his audience

<<The audience we are speaking of is black folks. Not black science
fiction fans.>>

and for sci fi  writers
> to realize that no one has a problem with "black" science fiction
but  you
> are make a small niche market even smaller by labeling yourself.

<<That is for them--us--to worry about.  And again you need to read
stuff like Delaney's essay about racism in Science Fiction.

But let me say this.  When Buddy Bolden and them guys were blowing
their crazy ratty music in Storyville back in the early 1900's, that
music that mixed in ragtime and spirituals and blues, music
lovers,especially whites and proper negroes, looked down on it.

That music, known now as jazz, went on to conquer the world. Same
thing with bebop, rhythm and blues, hip hop, etc.

If you do your thang well, people come around.

> George L.  Cook III author of Let's Talk Honestly Vol. 2
> A book of poetry and essays on  African American Issues
> Read ebook for free here:
> _http://www.letstalkhonestly.com/page/page/3118263.htm_
(http://www.letstalkhonestly.com/page/page/3118263.htm)

Community email addresses:
Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe Digest Mode: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SciFiNoir_Lit/
Yahoo! Groups Links