From: Michael H. Warfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 7:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MUSCLE Reflex 20 driver for linux out there?

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 04:22:05PM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> Why are you so determined to use the Reflex 20?  There are other pc-card
> readers.  I have always felt that if a manufacturer doesn't want me to use
> his products, I'll buy from someone else.

        1) Maybe I've already got several of these cards.  Actually,
I have some of the Reflex 20s and some Gemplus 400s which are only
partially supported.

        2) If the Linux crowd depended on this attitude, just how much
code to you think we would have?  We don't wait, we reverse engineer,
if need be, and we code.

        3) It's nice when manufacturers support us, but some don't because
they don't see a demand or a market.  By creating drivers and investing
time and effort, we demonstrate to them that there are both.

        I've talked personally to the Schlumberger rep for my area.  I
made it quite clear to him that I'm doing evaluations.  I also made
it quite clear to him that (and this goes for the entire international
company that I do research for) if there are no Linux drivers there would
be no sale.  He can't magically squat and produce a driver but he is
being very cooperative.

> Linux Smart Card Developers - M.U.S.C.L.E.
> (Movement for the Use of Smart Cards in a Linux Environment)
> http://www.linuxnet.com/smartcard/index.html

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/