Here are the outputs of a few simple tests on a working configuration:

# ps axf | grep scmbug | grep -v grep
 4899 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/sbin/scmbug_daemon.pl/etc/scmbug/daemon.conf

# netstat -anp | grep 3872
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3872                0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      4899/perl

# telnet localhost 3872
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
SCMBUG-SERVER RELEASE_0-26-22 27

Regards,
Yavor