Dianne wrote:
> I'm seeking advice from fiddlers:  I've heard that all "cuts" should
> inserting a cut I do seem to think it is easiest to begin on a down bow.
> However... I'm playing around with bowings in the tune 'Crossing the Minch'
> (aka 'McNabb's Hornpipe') and seem to think that it's easiest to slur the
> two eighth notes prior to the cut on a down bow (to give emphasis to the
> first note and soften the tune a bit) and then begin the cut on an up bow.
> It seems to work and I'm getting good speed on it.  Any bowing advice from
> anyone familiar with this tune?

By 'cuts', I think you mean what's sometimes called a 'birl' in Scots music?
A bowed triplet done more as a shake than as identifiable notes.

Interesting question, because I couldn't answer it just by thinking, so I
picked up the fiddle and still couldn't answer it.  Even doing repeated birls,
I couldn't detect whether I was starting up or down.
That's the whole thing of it- when you're learning, you're conscious of 3
notes.  Once you've got it, it becomes one movement.

I think I do it both ways, depending on where it fits in. I certainly wouldn't
consciously alter my bowing to hit it one way or the other.
I instinctively distrust any statement which begins "you must do...", when
applied to fiddle playing.

I think I recall Stuart Eydmann quoting some source that taught players very
rarely begin a bar with an up bow, whereas it's quite common among self-taught
players.  It's the first thing you're taught after all  :)

Derek