ladida wrote:

> I'm seeking advice from fiddlers:  I've heard that all "cuts" should begin on
> a down bow.  Is that good advice and is it always true?  When inserting a cut
> I do seem to think it is easiest to begin on a down bow.  However... I'm
> playing around with bowings in the tune 'Crossing the Minch' (aka 'McNabb's
> Hornpipe') and seem to think that it's easiest to slur the two eighth notes
> prior to the cut on a down bow (to give emphasis to the first note and soften
> the tune a bit) and then begin the cut on an up bow.  It seems to work and I'm
> getting good speed on it.  Any bowing advice from anyone familiar with this
> tune?
>
> Dianne Anderson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm assuming the "cut" is the triplet (or 2-16th notes & eighth note) figure
on the 2nd beats (this would be called a shake or stutter in Irish)?  My
music shows the 1st beat as a dotted eighth followed by a 16th so I thought
I'd better clarify.

 I'm self-taught (after years of classical lessons, followed by years of
playing Irish fiddle) but I always play those starting with an up-bow (ie,
up-down-up).  In this case, slurring the 1st 2 notes of the measure on a
downbow, starting the shake on an upbow, and taking the quarter note
following the ornament on a downbow puts the accent on the 1st and 3rd
beats, which I think is where you want it.

I originally learned this ornament starting with upbow and I get much more
speed this way than starting on a down bow.  I think it's because the
ornament works better for me out towards the tip of the bow, and preceding
it with a downbow (if possible) sort of "cocks" my bow arm, giving me some
tension that I can use to get the speed I want for the 16th notes.  I've
been thinking I probably should practice to get my speed up using a downbow
on this ornament, to give some versatility, but I'm too lazy!  I don't know
what's typical in the Scottish tradition, but I understand many if not most
Irish fiddlers learn this ornament with one bowing or the other, and pretty
much stick to it.

BTW, can anyone suggest a resource (preferably online) that discusses the
Scottish fiddle ornaments and gives common names & etc for them?  Coming
from  an Irish fiddling background I'm having trouble with translating.
--
Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, CA