Jeri Corlew wrote:

> I've heard Irish fiddlers bounce bows for what I call a triplet, but this
> is extremely difficult to control.

        Like that ornament that Kevin Burke does all the time? That's kind a
strange one :-) Some of the most wicked bow ornaments I've ever heard
come from Tommy Peoples. Donegal music in general fascinates me.
Probably the only region of Irish music that I like as much as Scottish
traditional music.

  I've heard classical violinists playing
> traditional music do a form of it as well - lifting the bow after each
> short stroke.  This sounds exactly like a classical violinist playing
> traditional tunes.  There's probably a fancy Italian name for the
> technique.

        Are you thinking of that spicato bow stroke, where the bow sort of
bounces off the top of the string? The mechanics of that are actually
different. Natalie MacMaster likes that ornament.

> I've tried for a long time to get triplets down.  More knowledgable people
> than I told me the move was accomplished primarily with the wrist.
> Practicing the up-down-up or down-up-down using the wrist and keeping the
> arm as immobile as possible helped.  Naturally, you have to move your arm
> when playing a tune, but this excercise got me to relax my wrist.  I've
> made progress - every now and then I can hit a triplet correctly.

        How much are you using your fingers? Most of a cut comes from having a
loose wrist and fingers with a relatively stationary upper arm.

Toby