On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:53:47 -0800, you wrote:

>Jeri Corlew wrote:

>> I've heard Irish fiddlers bounce bows for what I call a triplet, but this
>> is extremely difficult to control.
>
>       Like that ornament that Kevin Burke does all the time? That's kind a
>strange one :-) Some of the most wicked bow ornaments I've ever heard
>come from Tommy Peoples. Donegal music in general fascinates me.
>Probably the only region of Irish music that I like as much as Scottish
>traditional music.

As a matter of fact, it was Kevin Burke I was thinking of.  I'd just
started learning fiddle and I went to a Bothy Band concert and couldn't
believe what he seemed to be doing.

>       Are you thinking of that spicato bow stroke, where the bow sort of
>bounces off the top of the string? The mechanics of that are actually
>different. Natalie MacMaster likes that ornament.

Perhaps.  When it comes to proper names of things, I'm mostly clueless.  I
believe the violinists mainly use the frog end of the bow for that?

>> I've tried for a long time to get triplets down.  More knowledgable people
>> than I told me the move was accomplished primarily with the wrist.
>> Practicing the up-down-up or down-up-down using the wrist and keeping the
>> arm as immobile as possible helped.  Naturally, you have to move your arm
>> when playing a tune, but this excercise got me to relax my wrist.  I've
>> made progress - every now and then I can hit a triplet correctly.
>
>       How much are you using your fingers? Most of a cut comes from having a
>loose wrist and fingers with a relatively stationary upper arm.

I was mostly joking about the "every now and then" bit, but I'm a long way
from having mastered the technique.  I figure if it feels right, I simply
need more practice.  This may sound weird, but I found it helped me to turn
my hand so the movement was more up and down than sideways.  (I noticed
Harvey Tolman plays like that, and decided to try it.)  I don't play with
my hand that way most of the time, but it did help to learn the movement
needed.

The way I do it, it's mostly a hand/wrist movement, sort of like sketching.

Jeri