> I've heard Irish fiddlers bounce bows for what I call a triplet, but this
> is extremely difficult to control.  I've heard classical violinists playing
> traditional music do a form of it as well - lifting the bow after each
> short stroke.  This sounds exactly like a classical violinist playing
> traditional tunes.  There's probably a fancy Italian name for the
> technique.

Spiccato?

: They're basically trying to get a sound like a birl on the pipes. My
: wife, or one of the other pipers can explain exactly how the birls work.

Something like {dGAG}A or {AGAG}A - the idea is that the low G on the
pipes is the loudest and the most dissonant against the drones, so this
ornament is the most emphatic attack possible, giving the effect of a
drumstroke.