SUZANNE MACDONALD wrote:

> Almost all Cape Breton players play birls with a down-up-down bow.
> Up-down-up players are rare and  players with both birls even rarer. The
> latter have distinct advantages. For example the inevitable slurring of
> notes which necessarily accompanies birls can be moved around or in some
> cases eliminated if desired, resulting in a variety of options in the
> playing of the tune. This is especially desirable in playing repeats;
> alternate bowing of the same notes making the tune sound "different"
> and have a pleasing effect on the ear.

This is interesting.  I'm classically trained but pretty much self-taught in
Irish & Scottish fiddling.  I've always played this ornament up-down-up but
recently have been making an effort to learn the reverse, for pretty much
the same reasons you listed above.  I didn't realize the CB fiddlers played
this ornament down-up-down, but now I understand why I was having trouble
with certain tunes I've encountered!  I'm curious though, does anyone know
WHY the CB players play the birl this way, and not the reverse?  Tradition,
or is there some technical reason?
--
Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, CA