Bob Rogers wrote:

>* CDs to buy: I've got CDs by Alasdair Fraser, Bonnie Rideout, Elke
>Baker, and John Taylor. I've also got cds by a bunch of Irish fiddlers.
>I want to buy more Scottish fiddle CDs. I don't want CDs of bands that
>have fiddles, just fiddler's CDs.

I've recently run across John Taylor, out of California.  He plays for the
local Scottish Country Dance organization (Sacramento?) and has three CDs
out now, any one of which is top notch.

One is called Live, and that's what it is -- recorded at a dance.

Another is called After the Dance, and is the best for listening by a
general audience.  Has a great MacPherson's Lament/Rant.

And the third is titled Steppin' Out, which is dance music, including a
marvelous strathspey set.  I like this one best for dance-fiddle music.

I do have some commercial interest, as I have a fiddle repair shop here in
Idaho and now try to keep his CDs on hand for my local customers, but you
can contact John directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and buy it straight from
the fiddler, and then I make no money, so have no commercial interest,
aside from keeping a great fiddler encouraged.  Being a fiddler as well, I
listen to these CDs intently.

Ken Pollard

Owyhee Mountain Fiddle Shop
4211 Sunny Ridge Rd., Nampa, Idaho 83686
(208) 466-3633     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Repairs neatly done, instruments new & used for sale & rent, bows, cases,
instructional books, & the finest of accessories.

Adjunct Instructor in Mathematics & Physics at Boise State University.