On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Toby Rider wrote:

> this music. This is alot different then a competition. As soon as you say
> "competition" and offer prizes, then it becomes something entirely
> different.
>

> > At 10:00 PM 1/15/03 -0800, Steve wrote:
> >
> >> It's not a competition but it gives groups the chance to perform in
> >> front of an audience and get constructive criticism from experts.  I'm
> >> not interested in competing in music and I've often wondered why
> >> something like this isn't done for fiddlers.

It begs the point of WHY.

Most people would know from the playing if the person is good at all.
Beyond this, why compete?

The people who are good, know it, and don't have any need to prove it.
The ones who are not AS good, know it, and would be learning from the
ones they admire. The way it is done as we currently have it, is a
non-judgemental form, and without the pressure a competition, as Steve
was seeming to imply would be good, would impose.

So, the basic question is or should be  why would we want it?

        Bidh mi 'gad fhaicinn!!!

        IWK Children's Hospital Telethon - June 1st and 2nd, 2002
                $4.1 Million for 2002 - Thanks!!!

 <<<<<   Cum Ga\idhlig beo\. >>>>>
 George / Seo\ras Seto

 e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]