> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, George Seto wrote:

>> This is alot different then a competition. As soon as you
>> say "competition" and offer prizes, then it becomes something entirely
>> different.

> It begs the point of WHY.
>
> Most people would know from the playing if the person is good at all.
> Beyond this, why compete?

 Ah, but you and I think that this is true. It might have to do with
frames of reference. In Nova Scotia there are tons of musicians. Scottish
music is basically in the water out there. It's an ever present cultural
factor. It's  the voice of the common people. Tiny little kids can step
dance. Everyone and their brother either plays the fiddle, sings, pipes,
plays piano or guitar. Or else they're a hockey player :-)
 Everyone knows what the music should go like, even if they don't play.
They know when you're really on a roll. The people, even in little house
parties get energized when things start really coming together. You
always know it, there's a buzz, dancing starts, cheering starts. They get
amped, which in turn gets the players amped. Some of the most incredibly
powerful recordings I've ever heard have come from house parties.
 Good traditional music should be as energetic, unpredictable and
over-the-top exciting as a rock-and-roll concert. Anyone should be able
to feel that on a gut level. As soon as that gets lost, then it just
becomes a bunch of notes.
 Sue doesn't agree with us, if I am interpreting her statement correctly:

"Only the most discriminating know when you are playing well. People
will listen to anything and tell you it is good. I think you need the
opinion of an expert/mentor/judge if you are to really improve."

 Or maybe we have a misunderstanding. Or it could that she hasn't
experienced this type of environment first-hand.