I have been  enjoying this tune a lot. Thanks for reminding me of it and
sharing the abc's.

It seems that agreement here is that it was made by Bobby MacLeod. Liner
notes from "Fit As A Fiddle" indeed do give credit to Mr. MacLeod and that
Natalie MacMaster learned the tune from Sharon Shannon.  (And btw Dominique,
the 2nd abc you gave is almost note for note the same as Natalie's version).

I happened to be reading the liner notes for my Sharon Shannon CD. On this
CD she includes "Jean's Reel" as part of the Phil Cunningham set. The notes
say "the second was written by Bobby MacFerrin from the Isle of Mull and is
called JEANS REEL.

So who is is Bobby MacFerrin? Will the REAL composer of Jeans Reel please
step forward..... (Isn't there a Bobby MacFerrin who is known for imitating
orchestral instruments with his mouth).

Can any one tell me the name of the Phil Cunningham tune she plays on that
cut. I've heard it before, but don't know it's name.

Thanks
John