Toby wrote:
> I've long since given up on getting precise accuracy out of abc's. It's
> a pleasant surprise when they're dead on, and you always know who's
> abcs will usually be perfect. Usually Jack's are spot-on, because
> precision seems to be an important element of his personality.

If Nigel was listening to what I was up to in trying to get through
"Margaret's Waltz" on the ud last Wednesday I think he can testify
that I am not one to let the possibility of missing a note get in
the way...

There are two reasons why I do ABC that way.  One is that I've been
on electronic forums for nearly 20 years and seen what happens if
you let even a slight ambiguity past - it's just quicker to get it
right first time than field the questions if you slip.  The other is
that once I saw what ABC was about I decided to stick to doing stuff
nobody else was doing, either in print or electronically, and do
it so that nobody would ever need to redo it.  I'm in a fortunate
position for access to the major paper sources for Scottish music,
and it seems only fair to the people who aren't that I shouldn't
tease them by giving a rough approximation to something they'd
either need to visit Scotland to look at or else pay a fortune in
photocopying fees if they wanted the real scoop.

> Most of the time though, I just use them to either give me
> a rough idea of the notes, or else to confirm what I think
> I've figured the notes out to be, off the recording..

We should be so lucky - take something like "The Fine Old Man versus
Gladstone's Hornpipe" on my Dalkeith site - it's a great gutsy tune
but it seems nobody but me has ever heard of it, and I doubt there's
any recording.  (I'd quite to be told of recordings of tunes I've
transcribed, so I can add the discographic stuff: I can't afford to
buy recordings any more except occasionally from charity shops, so my
main source of info about the world of recorded music is the radio).

Steve Wyrick wrote:
: JC's abc text file does match the midi file so I assume there's
: a glitch in the software Jack used to produce the gif file.

You have some wires crossed, I didn't produce any GIF that Rita
looked at.