At 11:46 PM 2/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
And Scott Joplin *was* classically trained.  He studied classical piano
as a child.  He studied music theory at the George R. Smith College for
Negroes in Sedalia, Missouri.  Initially it had been his ambition to
become a classical pianist and composer.
Cool! I don't think I knew that. (Or maybe I knew it 20 years ago and forgot). Now I really do think those piano rolls were inferior to his skill.

Thank goodness for modern recordings. Tomorrow's musicians *will* be able to hear what we do today, and I think that is a good thing.

The theories presented in answer to my question, "Traditional musicians can sound dead-wooden as well, but luckily they tend to be fewer and farther between. Does anyone have theories on why this seems to be so?>> have been very interesting. A couple of things I hadn't thought of myself, so thanks to you who took the time to write. I really appreciate it!

--Cynthia Cathcart
http://www.cynthiacathcart.net/