> Cynthia Cathcart wrote:
>
>> At 11:46 PM 2/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> And Scott Joplin *was* classically trained.  He studied classical
>>> piano as a child.  He studied music theory at the George R. Smith
>>> College for Negroes in Sedalia, Missouri.  Initially it had been his
>>> ambition to become a classical pianist and composer.
>>

>> Cool! I don't think I knew that. (Or maybe I knew it 20 years ago and
>> forgot). Now I really do think those piano rolls were inferior to his
>> skill.
>

> My dad has a CD of a piano roll done by George Gershwin. It is
> interesting from the standpoint that Gershwin saw potential in the piano
>  roll as a unique instrument. He cut music that can't acutally be played
>  by a person on a piano.
>
> Bob

 Kind of like the very primative precusor to multi-track recording.

--
Toby Rider ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"IMHO this is a wholly unacceptable piece of equipment to play music with.
The real question is, whether it is more functional as a piece of
furniture, cigarette holder, or dart board?"

- Anonymous musicial instrument reviewer

Toby Rider's Understated Homepage: http://www.blackmill.net/toby_rider/