Jack Campin wrote:

> It occurs in a manuscript of Lady John Scott's along with a bunch of
> Scottish traditional material (some of which occurs nowhere else) -
> so it seems to have been absorbed into Scottish tradition within only
> a few years of its composition.

That's very interesting Jack, and I'd like to learn more about Lady John
Scott's ms, but...

> It's so similar to "Off She Goes" and "Hit Her on the Bum"

it's not very similar to Off She Goes (Humpty Dumpty for those of us who
'listened with Mother') and nothing at all like HHOTB, a good lowland pipe
tune - I know that Bremner's fiddle setting has some LH pizzicato, but that's
the only point in common with Pop Goes The Weasel.

Cheers,
Matt Seattle