> Hi folks,
>
> I've been attempting to learn to play the whistle lately
[...]
> But since whistles don't have drones, there isn't
> anything magic about an A note anymore, is there? So I don't have to do
> cuts from an A note, maybe?

I've learned most of what I know about whistle from Irish whistle tutors.
Vinnie Killduf (Kilduff?) suggests cutting from each of the notes to see
how they change the character of the tune.

I think A is a popular choice because it's high enough on the body of the
whistle that you can usually use it, and it is usually crisp.

Cutting takes a lot of practice, so if you spend all your practice on one
finger, you'll get better faster than if you practice them all.

> Also, I don't know why people think
> whistles are so easy. Fiddles seem a lot easier to me!

I've finally learned that *all* musical instruments are really difficult.
Whistle is easier to get started on than fiddle, but IMHO fiddle is easier
to be expressive on due to the ability to control dynamics and intonation
that whistle lacks.

Bob