This is something that has puzzled me for years too.  I had been led to
believe that Kerr's pages were laid out that way to provide suitable music
for the foursome reel, which was popular in the latter part of the
nineteenth century, but any descriptions of that dance I have seen always
have the dance moving from strathspey to reel, but not back to strathspey
again.  I can't quite believe either that the dance was so popular that it
merited the pages Kerr's devotes to it.  The Athole Collection follows the
same scheme.

As an aside I wonder if the Cape Breton custom of staying in the same key
for a set of tunes comes from the use of printed collections?

David Francis
(44) (0)131 669 8824