have the dance moving from strathspey to reel, but not back to strathspey
again.

I didn't think that the layout necessarily meant that they went back to strathspeys after reels in a dance. I just thought it was like in Cape Breton, where you wouldn't dream of playing a strathspey without a reel after it.

As an aside I wonder if the Cape Breton custom of staying in the same key
for a set of tunes comes from the use of printed collections?

That's an interesting thought. Backwards from how I was looking at it, but possible. After all, Cape Breton fiddlers call dotted hornpipes 'clogs' and I think that comes from using Ryan's Mammoth Collection/1000 Fiddle Tunes. But there were also many fiddlers who didn't read music in Cape Breton in the past.

- Kate D.