I'm no historian, so be warned!

I believe there were dances known as "strathspey reels".  I don't believe
anyone really knows how they were danced;  there are people who try to
work it out.

Is it possible that reels and strathspeys were not played as differently
two or three hundred years ago as they are now?  E.g., it seems to be well
known that strathspeys for Scottish dancing were played a good deal
quicker in the early years of the 20th century than they are now.  How
were the reels played?

Interesting example:  compare the tune for the Duke of Perth in the early
editions of RSCDS Book 1 with the current version;  the current version is
tuneful and danceable;  I can't imagine what the original sounded like, if
played at (about) 60 bars per minute.  Another example is The Lassie Wi'
the Yellow Coatie;  when played as usually written at even close to the
above speed, it is (to me) jittery and unpleasant, but if one doubles the
number of bars (by adding an extra bar line in the middle of each in the
original) and plays at the same number of _new_ bars per minute, one gets
a lively, lilting tune.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB