On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:41:30AM -0500, Jim Heck wrote:
> The installation hung in the stage where it was running the preinstall
> scripts for the packages.  This may have had something to do with
> autofs, since the installation creates an sbox user.  I confirmed that
> scratchbox installs on Debian if autofs is not used.

This probably needs to be added to release notes, FAQ, or something
similar.

> **5.1. From Scratchbox 1.0.7 on, flex is not regarded as a provided
> package when checking debian build deps.  This is fixed with the
> following, performed inside scratchbox.

The issue here is that flex provides libfl.a, which is arch-specific.
Therefor some packages fail to build if flex is not installed on target.
build dependencies of flex are included in doctools devkits, so adding
flex to crocodiles' packages to compile is more safe solution.

> **5.2. For powerpc, the value scratchbox returns for 'uname -m' is
> 'powerpc'.  This causes problems when building packages, since the
> scripts/makefiles generally expect 'ppc'.  This is fixed by setting the
> 'SBOX_UNAME_MACHINE' environment variable to 'ppc'

> [sbox-ppc603-croc: ~] > export SBOX_UNAME_MACHINE=ppc

What does uname -m return on real ppc hardware? scratchbox should match
what the real hardware returns.

> - procps required a patch to remove dependence on a header file
> /include/asm/page.h.  The use of a macro for PAGE_SIZE resolved to a
> function and was being improperly used in a variable declaration.  I
> took code from the latest version of the package to patch it in the
> sarge version.

I'll add this patch to crocodile, thanks.

> - zlib attempted to create the compiler name for the CC environment
> variable using 'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE'.  This resolved
> the gcc tool name to 'powerpc-linux-gnu-gcc', but scratchbox for some
> reason has the gcc compiler linked to 'powerpc-linux-gcc'.

These can be tuned SBOX_CROSS_GCC_PREFIX_LIST in /targets/TARGET.config