On 18/07/08 10:57 +0300, sfora dim wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Lauri Leukkunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > SB2 drives gcc so that it would find everything from the target rootfs (or
> > buildroot, whatever you want to call it), so you need to copy the c-library
> > + headers there.
>
> Is there a particular place I need to copy to or anywhere inside the
> rootfs is good ?

SB2 expects your target fs to follow the standard conventions:

$BUILDROOT/usr/include has the headers
$BUILDROOT/lib     -\
$BUILDROOT/usr/lib   \- hold the libraries

> > There's the "rootstrap" from the Maemo SDK+ project.
>
> Do you mean this:
> http://repository.maemo.org/stable/4.1/armel/
> ?

Yeah.

> > Git version is the best one to use at the moment, if there are issues with
> > it, I'd be happy to hear about them. :)
>
> Ok, i'll try it and tell you :)
>
> One general question:
> When I run 'sb2' I should get to something like a chroot jail on my
> rootfs, right ?
> Well, using the Ubuntu's sb2 package it worked really good, but after
> some time (of initing new targets etc) it was broken - when I typed
> 'sb2' I just stayed on the same folder, and could still see the whole
> fs of my host. Do you have an idea what might cause this problem ?

SB2 by default (using the "simple" mapping mode) doesn't give you a "chroot",
it's that way by design. Idea is to be as unintrusive as possible, while
still functioning for cross compilation. It is possible to "chroot" by
running sb2 in the emulation mode (sb2 -e). Maemo uses the "maemo" mode,
which you can enable by running sb2 -m maemo. What works best depends what
you plan to do. I'd say that for constructing a new distro, simple mode
should be enough as you can and should clean up the most attrocious build
system failures instead of relying on sb2 to paper over them. For supporting
debian style building a mode similar to maemo is useful, as the idea
obviously is to deviate as little as possible from the upstream.

Overall it's not terribly obvious (even after many years...) what is *the*
right way to deal with this. This is one of the reasons why I like to
position SB2 as a tool for creating an SDK instead of being the SDK.

/lauri