On Jul 18, 2008, at 11:48 AM, ext sfora dim wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your answers!

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Lauri Leukkunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
SB2 by default (using the "simple" mapping mode) doesn't give you a "chroot", it's that way by design. Idea is to be as unintrusive as possible, while
still functioning for cross compilation.

I'm a little puzzled now. I thought that sb2 enforce cross
compilations to use only stuff from the rootfs using chroot
environment. Isn't that what needed for cross compilation ?

The old scratchbox ("sb1") uses chroot, sb2 does similar tricks without chroot. The result should be that you are not forced to work in "chroot jail", but still get replacements for /usr/include and other essential directories and tools.

How do you recommend me to work if I only want to cross compile source
packages using configure,make, make install ? no new distro, no apt
stuff...

If you are compiling for maemo, then try the Maemo SDK+ beta from
http://maemo-sdk.garage.maemo.org/

And that is useful even if you are not compiling for maemo; the tools are pretty much neutral when the target distribution is considered. It is the rootstrap (root fs) which contains the "maemo personality". If someone wants to create a completely new SDK for something else than maemo, I'd recommend starting from the SDK+ project and figuring out how to create a suitable root fs in the first place. The set of tools can be trimmed later.

Also note that "configure" and "make" are not the only tools that you'll need when you are cross compiling packages, the underlaying truth is usually really much worse... What we now have in the maemo mode of sb2 and what is included in SDK+'s tools collection (which uses unmodified tools from debian "etch" and contains about 100 other tools than just "make") is the result of our experiments about what is needed for cross-compiling various OSS packages (and maemo packages, too, of course). So, the "maemo" mode is not really limited to compiling for maemo only, it is more about compiling existing, complex packages..

        Lauri