Hi All,

Today two new versions went to the public git repository:

Version 2.2.4 is maintenance release. It adds the patches posted by RafaƂ Krypa
in March, even older patches from Riku Voipio, and some small enhancements from
the 2.3_development branch to the "stable" version of Scratchbox2.

There is one new important feature: Support for running host's static binaries
with Qemu. As fas as I know, that feature was implemented at Samsung and is
used in the version of SB2 which Tizen is using [1].

Version 2.2.4 is available in gitorious.org [2],[3]. Please note that the
source code repository URL is going to change in the near future: The word
"maemo" is going to be dropped, but Scratchbox2 will stay in gitoriuos. Both
the new and old URLs work currently.

The other new release, 2.3.49, belongs to the development branch. Development
of the next major version of Scratchbox2 has an been ongoing task since April
2011. I'm happy to announce that we are not so far from the target anymore:

The 2.3_development branch is supposed to be in some kind of feature complete
state now. At least I'm not planning to add more features, now it is mostly a
matter of testing, cleaning up, and finalizing some unfinished internal
improvements. N.B. "unfinished" does not mean it would be incomplete - the 2.3
branch is/should be fully functional, but there is still some old code which
needs to be replaced.

So what has been done for the upcoming 2.4 release?

There are some new features. The most important one is probably that SB2 does
not anymore use the fakeroot utility for simulating super user privileges.
Instead, it has an internal implementation which is more integrated to the
sessions, and has more features, too (the details are in the manual page
sb2(1), see section "virtual permissions")

2.4 will also have some support for building rpm packages (whereas versions up
to 2.2.4 have only been used for building Debian-style packages): The Mer
project is now using SB2 with their OBS (Open Build System) [4]. Mer is a Linux
distro which uses rpm packaging [5].

Additionally, there are lots of internal improvements for better performance
and scalability. For a list of focus areas, see "README_2.3_development" in the
source directory; check out the "2.3_development" branch from the git
repository [3].

        Lauri

Links:

[1] SB2 in Tizen: https://source.tizen.org/platform_sbs_introduction.html