Does it help if you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH in that script? As there
is no user's LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the environment by default, your
assignment in the script does not change the environment. It only
sets a local shell variable which doesn't affect anything.

Thanks, you are totally right. "export" does the trick:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/my/own/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
$@

Yes, that seems to be a bug. "sb2-config setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH=..."
causes problems at startup (the bug is in sb2-monitor, related to
option -e)

Okay, as long as the above shell script is working properly, I have an appropriate workaround. I'm quite happy with that :)