Ping,

If you start screen from an X session,  then screen is a child of X. So when
X dies, so does screen. To do what you want, you would have to start screen
outside of X.

There are many ways to do this. For example, you could start a screen
session at boot time from rc.local. Or you could just switch to a different
tty (e.g. ctrl-alt-F2) and start a new screen session there. Then go back to
X (ctrl-alt-F7) and reattach to that screen session.

Kevin

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM, ping <songpingem...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  guys:
> I use screen for years and I'm happy with it.
> one thing annoyed me a lot is everytime when i need to reload X (it's not
> stable), and when I come back and find everything in my screen (vim, news,
> mutt, telnet, ssh,...everything) also went away, the session/windows are
> there though. searching the internet I haven't got much useful info.
> people are saying they use screen to get persistent sessions across X...how
> can i archive that?
>
> thanks!
>
> regards
> ping