Okay, I have to gripe.  Alright, I have not heard Ocean for my lack of MP3
access.  But, I'll put in my 2 cents anyways.  Some were saying that
supposedly the new album is gonna be more Diary-like than HIFTBSO.  Some were
disappointed when the Ocean was not Diary-like.  Some say, good, because
another Diary would just be another Diary.  But, even if Ocean were more
Diary-like it doesn't mean SDRE hasn't evolved.  It would mean perhaps they
were happier with the rougher, harder sound.  And it would not mean another
Diary, oh how boring and redundant (sarcasm).  They could always do some sort
of mixing up of styles, you know?  Make a hybrid of HIFTBSO and Diary/LP2.
Possible? Sure.  But lets say there is this hypothetical land of a more Diary
like album.  It would not be redundant because there would be no way for a
band full of such great musicians to put out the same album twice. We are
dealing with intelligent, talented people who wouldn't write the same song
twice.
Bands continue playing in certain styles throughout their careers, right?
Sure, they progress, get better, play in different styles, but their general
genre does not usually change, at least not (in my eyes) as dramatically as
SDRE did.  Face it, HIFTBSO was a dramatic change in SDRE's music, that's why
there's so much debate on which album is best.  Don't complain about a change
in SDRE's style.  You've got great music from the band to listen to and the
choice to not listen to what you don't like and the anticipation of receiving
another album that could bring who knows what to our ears.

Wow, that was long.  Thanks for reading if you made it to the end.

-Rachel

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The deal with this whole change thing is this: most people here agree that a
>  band should change and develop.   Most of you guys here are flaming me for
>  saying I want another diary, but The Ocean could easiily belong on
HIFTBSO.
>  don't see how you can say 'not another diary, that would mean they are not
>  changing, a band should always be evolving and becoming something else' ,
> but
>  this song, in my opinion, has not really changed from the stuff on
HIFTBSO.