> > > Does anyone have an idea of how great the contribution in lyric writing is
> > > from Dan Hoerner?  I had been under the impression that Jeremy wrote most
of
> > > the songs but my friend seems to think that Dan does the majority of the
> > > songwriting.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> >
> > I believe that Dan wrote most of the lyrics on Diary, but since then,
> > it's been Jeremy writing them.
>
> I don't know about this.  The person who wrote the lyrics to diary definitely
> also wrote the lyrics to the pink album, whoever that is.  But
> whoever wrote the
> rising tide lyrics was absolutely positively not the same person who wrote the
> majority of the lyrics on diary. sorry if it makes no sense.

Okay, after doing some research, here's my understanding of how the lyric
writing on each album breaks down.  Look through the "Diary" liner notes and at
the bottom of each song, you'll see either "hoerner/enigk" or "enigk/hoerner."
>From the SDRE FAQ, this means "<wrote lyrics>/<wrote music>", and I'm sure there
was some collaboration between the two.  On "LP2", from what I understaind, the
band wasn't getting a long very well, especially between Hoerner and Enigk,
Hoerner did not take much of an active role in writing that album.  Also, it was
about that time that Enigk was "finding god," so a good deal of the lyrics on
that album are some Christian references.  And later, of course, I think they
were back to collaborating, although the albums themselves do not indicate which
individual contributed what to each song.  In "The Rising Tide", it gives the
lyrics as "Hoerner/Enigk", and the music as a collaborative effort by the band.

And yeah, the same person(s) that wrote the lyrics to "Diary" wrote them to "The
Rising Tide."  I think TRT is a good deal less cryptic than "Diary," which is
both a good and a bad thing, but not necessarily something that discounts from
either album.  Since it lists Hoerner first inside TRT as a lyric writer, I
suppose he probably wrote most of the lyrics.  This, however, does not
necessarily account for it being less mysterious, I don't think, since a lot of
the poetry/lyrics I've read that I know are by Hoerner tend to be some of the
hardest to discern.

-josh.