Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > Also Intel ICH7 Family Datasheet, chapter 5.8 states:
> >
> > Programming the counter to anything other than Mode 2 will result in
> > undefined behavior for the REF_TOGGLE bit.
> >
> > Failing to have the timer 1 configured indeed causes affected OSes to
> > freeze during the boot.
>
> Thanks.  In general, I don't see an issue with initializing standard
> hardware.

While I agree that this change is needed somewhere, doesn't PIT
initialization actually belong in coreboot?

> However, a change like this could have a subtle impact on existing
> installations.

I don't think it will. Counter 1 should be running but is not.

Programs that expect it to be running currently hang.

Per the ICH6 datasheet, counter 1 output is not connected to any
interrupt controller input, although I do vaguely remember using
IRQ 1 interrupts which occured at a higher rate than IRQ 0 on AT
hardware.

ICH6 datasheet also says "A new initial count may be written to a
counter at any time without affecting the counter's programmed mode.
Counting is affected as described in the mode definitions."

So any programs that would reconfigure the RAM refresh request signal
counter (I think highly unlikely) don't care if it's already running.

> Finally, have you found any documents that describe how timer1 is
> intended to be configured on legacy systems?

Hm, what qualifies as legacy systems? The ICH7 datasheet was quoted,
ICH6 datasheet concurs. Yet another reference is Ralf Brown's
interrupt list, mentioning XT and AT:

--8<-- PORTS.LST
----------P0040005F--------------------------
PORT 0040-005F - PIT - PROGRAMMABLE INTERVAL TIMER (8253, 8254)
Notes:  XT & AT use ports 40h-43h; PS/2 uses ports 40h, 42h-44h, and 47h
        the counter chip is driven with a 1.193 MHz clock (1/4 of the
        original PC's 4.77 MHz CPU clock)
SeeAlso: PORT 0044h,PORT 0048h

0040  RW  PIT  counter 0, counter divisor             (XT, AT, PS/2)
        Used to keep the system time; the default divisor of (1)0000h
        produces the 18.2Hz clock tick.
0041  RW  PIT  counter 1, RAM refresh counter   (XT, AT)
        don't set below 3 on PCs (default 12h), and don't mess with this
        counter at all unless you really know what you're doing....
-->8--

Kind regards

//Peter