Congratulations to Gary Hatt for winning a fully configured Sun Ultra
5 during our recent SearchSolaris promotion! If you are looking for
new, unused or reconditioned Sun workstations, servers or components,
check out http://www.radiantresources.com for discount pricing,
responsive customer service and the strongest warranty in the
industry. Immediate delivery on most systems. Leasing and equipment
trade-in available.

Visit http://www.radiantresources.com/rewards now and register to win
a brand new DVD Player with any purchase by 7/15/01.

LEAD STORY

"Beyond Solaris 8: What to expect from the next version of the OS"
SearchSolaris and an IT analyst join hands, light some candles, and
peer into the Solaris crystal ball. What we see is an operating
system that wants to stay attractive. The primping process involves a
makeover with Microsoft.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid12_gci751216,00.html

To learn about what Sun executives are saying, or aren't saying,
about the next release of Solaris, click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid12_gci558496,00.html.

For more on Solaris 8, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci751020,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Commerce One signs up Sun, eyes expansion of PeopleSoft
partnership"
[2] "Compaq sells Alpha processor line to Intel"
[3] "ARM, Sun broaden Java-chip effort"
[4] "Stratus debuts delayed Windows server"

[1] "Commerce One signs up Sun, eyes expansion of PeopleSoft
partnership"
Sun is going to be doing some commerce with Commerce One. The
Commerce One and SAP partnership will offer its MarketSet
business-to-business marketplace environment for Solaris. The
MarketSet platform is designed to handle direct procurement,
supply-chain management, and real-time collaboration.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/06/25/010625hncommerceone.xml

[2] "Compaq sells Alpha processor line to Intel"
Time to pack up the family and move! Compaq says it will transfer its
entire 64-bit family of servers to Intel's Itanium microprocessor
architecture by 2004 and sell the intellectual property behind its
Alpha processor business to the "big chippers." Compaq will
immediately begin to port Tru64 Unix, OpenVMS and NonStop Kernel
operating systems and development tools over to Itanium.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_635279_1793_1-3921.html

[3] "ARM, Sun broaden Java-chip effort"
Sun is embracing ARM Holdings as a Java partner. The two companies
will work the technology into more ARM microprocessors. ARM makes
CPUs that power cell phones.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6355848.html?tag=owv

[4] "Stratus debuts delayed Windows server"
Stratus is finally rolling out its new Intel and Windows 2000-based
ftServer 5200. The product is about a year late, but at least it's
cheap. Prices start at $28,000. As Sun cuts its server prices, it may
move into the low-end arena to compete with Stratus.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6355839.html?tag=mn_hd

Are you running Solaris on Intel? Then check out our newest Ask the
Expert section featuring Solaris on Intel guru Chris Baker. He's
available to answer any questions you have on the subject at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40.

Take our latest poll: What was the biggest benefit you derived from
JavaOne this year? Give us your answer at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Designing and Programming CICS Applications," by John Horswill
Each part of Designing and Programming CICS Applications addresses
the design requirements for specific components and gives a
step-by-step approach to developing a simple application. The book
reviews the basic concepts of a business application and the way CICS
meets these requirements. It then covers a wide range of application
development technologies, including VisualAge for Java, WebSphere
Studio, and Visual Basic. Users learn not only how to design and
write their programs but also how to deploy their applications.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1565926765&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"searchSolaris Featured Topic: Solaris 8"
SearchSolaris has gathered lots of information about Solaris 8 over
the last year. Click on this link for a healthy sampling of Solaris
8-related technical information, expert advice, books and more.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci751020,00.html

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Barney barney makes dino outfit purple with rage"
The moral of this story: Don't mess with Barney the dinosaur. The Web
site Cybercheese takes a poke at the purple dino with a list of "150
ways to kill the Purple Dinosaur." The Lyons Group, which owns the
rights to all things Barney, raised a huff and responded by firing
off a nasty cease-and-desist letter threatening a lawsuit if the list
is not removed by tomorrow. Cybercheese countered with its own
vulgar, unflattering letter that, in essence, told the Lyons Group
that the site's parody was not infringing on Barney's trademark. It's
enough to make Barney and his band of merry grade-schoolers skip
recess and stand in the corner in protest.

SOURCE: The Register

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/