Still haven't gotten a quote on a new unused or reconditioned Sun
workstation or server from Radiant Resources? It's time to stop
compromising on your short-term technology needs because of budget
reductions. As a discount broker of Sun equipment, we can offer you
significant savings on systems, storage arrays, memory, disk and
other components. You get the equipment you need configured, tested,
and delivered...on time and at budget. Sound too good to be true?
Give us a call at 800-500-7675 or visit us at
http://www.radiantresources.com and see what your colleagues have
been taking advantage of for years. Special Offer: Visit
http://www.radiantresources.com/rewards and register by 9/1/01 for a
chance to win a brand new DVD player.

LEAD STORY

"IBM offers peek at next-generation Unix server"
Big Blue is hoping a "Regatta" will make it master of the Unixverse.
IBM's Regatta server, with its vaunted Power 4 processor, is due by
late November, but IT execs are getting a gander this week at the Hot
Chips Conference in Palo Alto, Calif. IDC says Regatta will bring
stuff to the Unix table no one has seen before, including improved
reliability.

SOURCE: InformationWeek
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010821S0005

For information on Sun's most recent server release, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid12_gci543237,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "AOL layoffs slam Sun-Netscape Alliance"
[2] "Is Microsoft outpacing its legal foes?"
[3] "McAfee to fight DoS with Asta, Mazu, and Arbor"

[1] "AOL layoffs slam Sun-Netscape Alliance"
AOL's layoffs will hit iPlanet like an asteroid. The Sun/AOL alliance
will jettison 500 jobs as part of AOL's restructuring deal. The
result will make iPlanet revolve more around Sun. IPlanet plans to
announce within a week a new plan to make it easier for companies to
tie existing software packages together.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6944064.html?tag=owv

[2] "Is Microsoft outpacing its legal foes?"
Why is Windows XP making such haste out of Redmond? Microsoft is
trying to get it out the door before any legal red tape has a chance
to trip it up. XP could be at the center of the new antitrust trial,
which a judge could review as early as Friday. That's the same day PC
manufacturers will get XP's "Gold Code."

SOURCE: IDG News
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/08/22/010822hnpace.xml

[3] "McAfee to fight DoS with Asta, Mazu, and Arbor"
Four security companies apparently are better than one. McAfee will
join Mazu Networks, Asta Networks, and Arbor Networks to battle DoS
attacks. The companies have a wealth of information to pool and use
to draw up their strategy.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/08/20/010820hnmcafee.xml

GOT A PROBLEM? Get it solved in our Discussion Forums!!

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is Solaris on Intel. See all
of our Solaris on Intel resources at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci752465,00.html.

Discuss Solaris on Intel with your peers at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40.

SEARCHSOLARIS UPCOMING ONLINE AUDIO EVENT...

"Soaring Solaris on Intel"
Aug 28, 2001 at 02:00 PM EST (19:00 GMT)
Chris Baker, Sun Microsystems' Solaris' Product Marketing Manager,
will discuss the communities and applications around the Solaris 8
Operating Environment Intel edition and preview SOI's roadmap going
forward, including early access and beta programs for Solaris 9.
Pre-Register at
http://www.italkservices.com/iTalkSlides/CustomerDocs/tcht01/viewLogin.asp?prov=15660&pres=1.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Design of High-Performance Microprocessor Circuits"
This book covers the design of next generation microprocessors in
deep submicron CMOS technologies. The chapters in Design of High
Performance Microprocessor Circuits were written by some of the
world's leading technologists, designers, and researchers. All levels
of system abstraction are covered, but the emphasis rests squarely on
circuit design.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=078036001X&dept%5Fid=155&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Solaris on Intel FAQ"
If you're planning to load Solaris on Intel, we suggest scanning this
FAQ first. Topics covered include pre-installation, installation and
troubleshooting.

SOURCE: Dan Anderson
http://sun.drydog.com/faq/

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Queen goes tea-towel e-commerce crazy"
Queen Elizabeth is keeping the Royal Pointer and Clicker busy these
days updating an e-commerce Web site where she sells whiskey, tea
towels and overnight stays at her Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Liz2,
as the locals have dubbed her, hopes the pounds she's lifting from
thirsty Brits will pay for the upkeep of beautiful Balmoral. In fact,
she's throwing open the drawbridge at Balmoral to visitors at a
reasonable 4.5 pounds a head to help offset upkeep costs.

SOURCE: The Register

If you're going to spend $5 million+ on storage hardware and software
next year, don't miss a must-attend FREE conference developed just
for you. Attend Storage Decisions 2001 in Chicago September 26-28.
Learn to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most effectively
manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-qualified audience of
your peers and NO vendor sales pitches. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com.

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.