Rave Computer provides Real World Solutions with Sun Technology. We
specialize in providing value-added solutions around Sun's UltraSPARC
technology operating on Solaris. We'll work with you to better
understand and resolve your unique application requirements. Rave
Computer also provides direct attached storage solutions. Go to
http://www.rave.com for more details about Rave Computer and our
services.

LEAD STORY

"Sun updates Forte for Java"
Forte for Java Release 3 is ready to go. Check out Sun's Web site for
your free download. The full shrink-wrap version with documentation
and support should be available Sept. 10.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=29411

Check out our Featured Topic section on Java at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci561228,00.html.
The pot is full and fresh.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun predicts another loss"
[2] "Superdome Unix server sales on upswing, says HP"
[3] "Feds thwart Code Red mutant"
[4] "EU widens its probe of Microsoft"

[1] "Sun predicts another loss"
Sun is seeing more red. The company has predicted another losing
quarter thanks in part to a dearth of demand in Europe and Asia. Sun
says it is not losing deals to IBM or HP, although this week Big Blue
has scored a deal at Sun's expense. The NYSE and the American Stock
Exchange will move their e-mail systems to IBM servers running Linux
-- giving 180 Sun servers the heave-ho.

SOURCE: Mercury News
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/depth/sun083001.htm

[2] "Superdome Unix server sales on upswing, says HP"
HP's top-shelf Unix server has a healthy sales pulse. A company
official says Superdome sales are picking up after a slow start out
of the gate. Why the slow start? One analyst blames a marketing
letdown and a fat price tag.

SOURCE: ComputerWorld
http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63349,00.html

[3] "Feds thwart Code Red mutant"
The FBI is trying to catch a virus. The Bureau says someone is trying
to spread a mutated version of Code Red -- some 6,000 computers could
have caught it. Agents have warrants for arrest and hope to catch
some culprits before they do more damage. One agent says to be
vigilant about keeping IIS patched and antivirus software current.

SOURCE: Network World
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0829redthwart.html

[4] "EU widens its probe of Microsoft"
The "eastern front" of Microsoft's legal battle is making news this
week. The European Commission is taking a closer look at the Media
Player/Windows relationship to see if the bundle is illegal. The EU
also thinks Microsoft may have not told vendors about other
companies' server software that would work with Redmond's products.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1447271l.htm

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Sun and the storage
market." See all of our storage resources at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci755010,00.html.

Discuss Sun's storage plans with your peers at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8445b.

==========================
FREE STORAGE CONFERENCE!!
==========================

**Storage Decisions 2001**

If you're going to spend $5 million+ on storage hardware and software
next year, don't miss a must-attend FREE conference developed just
for you. Attend Storage Decisions 2001 in Chicago September 26-28.
Learn to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most effectively
manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-qualified audience of
your peers and NO vendor sales pitches. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com.

GOT A PROBLEM? Get it solved in our Discussion Forums!!

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Storage Innovators"
Our weekly "Storage Innovators" tips are a great place to go for
ideas on how to construct storage networks.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax287699,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Porn sites billed users for exotic ports of call - FTC"
Madagascar is a place where lemurs live and where some phone
customers go to get ripped off. Two adult Web site operators in the
U.S. are settling up charges that they connected their subscribers
via an international phone line to Madagascar (that huge island in
the Indian Ocean). Of course, those subscribers had no idea what was
going on until they got their phone bills and noticed unspeakable
sums in the "pay this amount" column. They probably could have flown
to the island in first class for a cheaper rate. The sites are paying
back more than $26,000 to settle the charges.

SOURCRE: Newsbytes
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169543.html

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.