SEARCHSOLARIS.COM - SOLARIS OPERATING SYSTEM AND IT INDUSTRY NEWS
September 6, 2001
More headlines at:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/0,289141,sid12,00.html

TAKE OUR NEW POLL!!
What do you think Hewlett-Packard's acquisition of Compaq will mean
to you, the customer? Tell us what you think at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll.

LEAD STORY

"Security hole found in NAI's Gauntlet firewall"
A vulnerability has been discovered in PGP Security's Gauntlet
firewall that could give a hacker firewall privileges or network
access. The hole is in the components that handle inbound and
outbound e-mail, smap/smapd, and CSMAP, PGP said. McAfee WebShield
for Solaris Version 4.1 is among the affected products. PGP has
issued a patch.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/newsItem/0,289139,sid14_gci767041,00.html

Read more at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci763091,00.html.

For more on firewalls, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax1387,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun unites software groups into ONE organization"
[2] "Trend Micro wins patent for Java virus scan"
[3] "DOJ won't pursue Microsoft breakup"

[1] "Sun unites software groups into ONE organization"
Sun says it will integrate its line of software products into a
standards-based infrastructure on which solution providers can build
Web services.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=29536

[2] "Trend Micro wins patent for Java virus scan"
Trend Micro may have set a trend. The company has nailed down a U.S.
patent for its malicious code-hunting software technology for Java.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096588,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl

[3] "DOJ won't pursue Microsoft breakup"
Uncle Sam will not try to take an axe to Microsoft this time. DOJ
lawyers announced today they will not aim to split up the company in
this newest chapter of the antitrust case. That's one way to speed
the case along -- by narrowing the list of desired remedies.

SOURCE: ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096672,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Solaris security." See
all of our security resources at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci756562,00.html.

Discuss Solaris security with your peers at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee85fd0.

GOT A PROBLEM? Get it solved in our Discussion Forums!!

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"searchSolaris Security Discussion Day"
Check out all the security questions that got answered in our first
Solaris security discussion day, with Sun security expert, Mark
Thacker. Also, feel free to keep the conversation going.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee85fd0

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Most kids prefer Net to library for homework aid - study"
Libraries are supposed to be quiet -- but the Internet age is making
the silence downright deafening. A recent study found that middle
schoolers are making the Net their 'braries. Of the 12- to
15-year-olds polled, more than 70% of the ones with Internet access
depend on the Web for homework help and for finding material for
school projects. Only 24% hit the shelves for most of their
schoolwork information. Just think, a whole generation of kids is
growing up "shush-deprived."

SOURCE:  Newsbytes
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169662.html

==========================
FREE STORAGE CONFERENCE!!
==========================

**Storage Decisions 2001**

If you're going to spend $5 million+ on storage hardware and software
next year, don't miss a must-attend FREE conference developed just
for you. Attend Storage Decisions 2001 in Chicago September 26-28.
Learn to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most effectively
manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-qualified audience of
your peers and NO vendor sales pitches. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com.

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.