It depends upon the switch.  In my experience, if you generate enough
traffic to saturate the bus of a Cisco, you generally get dropped
packets at the switch.  If the aggregate traffic is greater than the the
bandwidth of monitoring port, you _will_ get dropped packets.

You would be surprised, however, how little this actually happens, due
to the bursty nature of most network traffic.  Unless you're monitoring
multiple high-resolution video streams or some such, you should be all
right.  If this becomes a problem, then you will need to place your
sensor somewhere else upstream to make sure that you don't get flooded
out.

Chris