Ethereal's not good to work with in a switched network because Ethereal won't
work in switched network.  All you'll see is arp requests and broadcasts as
well as anything going between your machine and the remote host.  If that's
what you want than Ethereal  is the tool for the job.  I doubt that's what
you want though.

The reason why Ethereal works well or better in a hubbed network is because
the collision domain is so big you "see" every bit of network traffic that is
going on between every node on that network.  Like usernames/passwords, what
websites someone is visiting...........yadayadayada.

A switch is basically a hub except the collision domain is limited to every
port on the switch.  That's why you won't see every other nodes
traffic.....because the switch knows where to send the data where as a hub
doesn't know and doesn't care and pretty much broadcasts it to all hosts on
the network until the meant destination says "hey! that's for me"

Since you're on a switched network, I recommend using Ettercap
(ettercap.sourceforge.net) as it does some "magic" with the arp cache by
poisoning it and you become the "man in the middle".  Meaning, everything
going between the host you want to sniff and the destination you will see.
Very similar to Ethereal except you can only do it to one host at a time (as
far as I know).

I hope this helps clear things up.

-Matt