Marc Mc Guinness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't understand that. Can anybody explain it to me? Why is
> ethereal not good for a switched LAN, but for a hubbed one it is?
> I'm starting to work with ethereal at the moment (in a switched
> network).

A hub sends a package too all its ports. A switches learns which
network interfaces is on which port and sends a package only to this
specific port. When using ethereal (or tcpdump, ...) in a switched
LAN you will only see traffic send or received by the machine you run
the sniffer and broadcast traffic.

BTW: There are ways to see all the traffic  (see
http://www.fefe.de/switch/).

Jens
--
I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.