From: Meritt James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 8:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SNMP security

Roger, concur, stress, underline, comment on his understatement, ...

Why does it HAVE to be on?  What is the driving reason (besides "it is
neat and everyone has it!")?

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> I'm assuming, even with the complete control that you have, you need SNMP.
If not, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but turn it off.

> If you need it for monitoring, what are the platforms that you have SNMP
enabled on?  It's very easy to secure SNMP on a Cisco router, for example,
but what else are you using SNMP for?

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton