> state of the PDA art means that these devices cannot be
> properly secured but have been overruled!
>
> Am I right?

Half way. The issue is really that all of the consumer grade PDAs on
the market (at least that I am aware of) are designed to be very
simple and convenient with security much lower on the list of
considerations; as a consequence the integrated security tends not to
be a deterrent to a determined attacker and third party extensions
tend not to be very well integrated with the standard applications.
I'm not up on the latest software for any of the handheld platforms
but last I checked www.handango.com was a good place to look for such
things.

> Is ther any way to prevent the PDA
> user from making unauthorised changes (e.g. using policies)?

I see you come from a Microsoft background. You may be better off
distributing small Windows notebooks to users if that's the system you
understand best. With relatively few customizations and a good third
party encryption package you should be good to go. Why third party?
Software that keeps information about encrypted data seperate from
Windows' relatively obfuscated data stores makes data a lot easier if
the drive goes bad (as so often happens with laptops).

FWIW,
zsnark