Well your ASCII diagram doesn't exactly show what you word in your email...
but... your solution might be as simple as this:

                ++++++++++++++
                ++ Internet ++
            ++++++++++++++
            ++++++++           +++++++++
            +Linux + ...DMZ... +FreeBSD+ (holds a
            +FW/GW +           +httpd  +  public address)
            ++++++++           +++++++++
             || -> NAT (Network
         ++++++++       Address
         + HUB  +       Translation)
         + or   +
         +Switch+
         ++++++++
        /  |  |  \
       /   |  |   \
     PC  PC  PC   PC  (All PCs hold private addresses)

|| = Ethernet and ... = Ethernet

-- NOTE: Hopefully the diagram didn't get too munged in text formatting --

Now all your PCs can still share files via Net BIOS and you can share an
internet connection that is protected by a firewall.  If you require servers
that are accessible by the outside (HTTPd, SMTPd, FTPd...) Then you'll need
a DMZ as shown by the dotted connection.

But I'm a bit confused by your "only one Ethernet connection in my lab"
statement.  I assume you mean only one Ethernet connection in your lab to
the rest of the network at large -- and not -- We run token ring in the lab,
but have an Ethernet connection to the outside.  If so, you should be fine
with the above.

I feel I would be remiss if I didn't say that using a Linux firewall like
iptables, ipchains, and fwtk (or any firewall product for that matter) can
be a daunting task for a neophyte.  In MANY cases the added security and
logging of a non-appliance based firewalls may not be required for what you
do.  Deploying a Linux box (Solaris box, Win2K box), whether acting as
firewall or not, haphazardly is not a very responsible thing to do either
for yourself, your group or the rest of the internet at large.  Its a
question you'll have to ask yourself...

If your really interested in building AND maintaining a firewall for your
group, I'd suggest at least getting and reading
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/fire2/.