From: Juan Mejia P. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 9:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Secure ftp server?

Hello guys,
          I need to set up a way to share files between my win box and
          the rest of the Lan at my department. Recently I set a linux
          box to act as a firewall and gateway to share the only one
ethernet
          connection in my lab, I know a hub would have been a better
          solution to share one internet connection but it was sort of
          a challenge for a beginner in linux:

                 LAN                         *******
 internet   *******   *******    *******-----* win1*
   ---------*win  *---*win  *----*linux*     *******
 (no prot-  *******   *******    *******-----------*******
   ection)                                         * win2*
                                                   *******

         The problem now is that I am no longer able to share files
         using the (in)famous network neighborhood, I have thought of
         a ftp server but I am afraid of hackers as I still don't have
         enough knowledge to properly secure the linux box. Up to now,
         I have no services (so no open ports) on this linux but I am
         in need of some way to share the files between the two
         computers behind the firewall and the rest of the boxes
         outside it.

         Please help me pointing me to a right solution: is ftp the
         way to go?, could it be ssh? (but I don't want to give users
         a shell, only need they be able to access some files from my
         computer and viceversa).

         thanks in advance for your help

Best regards and greetings from Chile,

 Juan                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]