HOT sites are live, all the time. The "time to recovery" is almost nothing, as all the
data on one site is kept totally current (within maybe a few minutes) of the other
site. The hardware is already
in place, and so is the software (through some sort of backup replication or
somesuch). Alternate data centers are usually examples of hot sites - concurrent
operations (albeit not necessarily).

WARM sites are generally sites that have hardware in place, and connected, but the
software is on a more cyclical or periodic timeframe, ie, daily backups. The eq
itself, while in place, may actually
not be on, or plugged in, but the network drops are in place. COMDISCO (a recovery
center here in the Northeast) is an example of this... they have the pcs, they have
the basic software, all we need
to do is get our people and data to them.

COLD sites are those where you have a truck of PCs out in the fields someplace.
Circuits need to be established, data needs to be retreived from a backup to load onto
the PCs, and even common software
may not exist on the desktops. Think of literally a truck of pcs out in back of your
house, that could be moved anywhere (but is quickly aging ;) ). To get this going you
would need to bring them to
the community center, hook up dsl/cable/t1/dialup, load all the software that your
specific company uses, and THEN you need to get your data there.

Please feel free to correct me everyone.
Kevin Jagh