From: Jeff Giuliano [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 4:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: hOt or cold back up?

Hot and cold backups refer to backing up a database.  A
hot backup is a backup of the database while the database
is up and running.  You backup software needs to understand
the internals of your database in order to perform it correctly.  Hot
backups often end up being invalid due to the nature of databases. A cold
backup is a backup of the database after the database has been shutdown.
This requires downtime of your database. A new method of database backups is
to mirror the database, then "break" the mirror, then backup the mirror and
then resynchronize the mirror with the active database.  No downtime, no
database integrity issues. I recommend O'Reilly's "Unix Backup & Recovery"
by Curtis Preston if you want to know the details. I'm not sure what that
has to do with security though.

Hope that helps.

-Jeff